Pattern: A Girl's Best Friend Wallet from JennaLouDesign
Fabric: Don't know... But I can check if anyone's interested. (Sewing is too new for me to know about fabric.. Ask me about what yarn I use for knitting and I can tell you, but with fabric? Nah. Not yet.)
Project time: August 16th, 2008 - August 21st, 2008
Modifications: I made two modifications on purpose. The first one was to turn the zipper around. I like opening zippers from the left going right. The second one was to only add one seam across the card pockets (instead of two) as I wanted to be able to carry more than one card in each slot. I was afraid it might turn out to be too tight if I did the two seams.
Thoughts: I love the fabric and I think it turned out great as a wallet. I'm sure nobody else has a wallet looking like this. :)
A view of what the open wallet looks like.
However, I'm not sure I'll stick to this wallet to be honest. I've never had a wallet with this design before (opening it on one of the long sides) and I don't know if I can get accustomed to it. I also find the wallet to be a bit too wobbly and soft... There are parts that have fusible interfacing attached to them, but I wouldn't have minded some more. If I make this wallet again, I'll probably add two layers of interfacing on those pieces instead of just one.
The bill pocket behind the card section.
I had problems attaching the card pocket section as I didn't really understand the written instructions when attaching the bottom card pocket. It said to edge stitch it to the back panel and I did just so. With the 1/8in seam allowance that was stated in the beginning of the pattern for edge stithing. I wasn't sure this was correct and when finished I think I made a mistake there, as my bottom card pocket is deeper than the above and I don't have as much space between the uppermost and the wallet edge. I have no desire to go back and correct it though... But it will probably bug me as I have to dig for the cards in the bottom pocket slots.
The coin pocket and the section for bills behind it. (Those are 100SEK-bills...)
It also bothers me that I see my interfacing when I open the coin pocket. I'd like to have fabric there on the zipper side but I don't really know how I'd have to change the pattern to get that to work woithout strange seams... I'll think about it some more if I make another one.
I do think the end product looks fancy though and I'm happy I made one!
And the obligatory picture of one of my cats and my finished object...