Saturday, December 1, 2007

FO - EssJay's bag






I made this bag some weeks ago for my friend EssJay. It took me forever to get shipped overseas but she finally got it this past week. So now I can blog about it! :)

This is my own design. A shoulderbag with an adjustable strap. I wasn't sure how EssJay likes to carry her bags so I put in three buttons and buttonholes so she can change it around to her liking. The bag closes with a magnetic snap and has an interior pocket divided in two. I got the fabric at Åhléns; the exterior is a heavy cotton and the interior is fake suede. The buttons are made of clear plastic and are called "lacy buttons" as they have a lacy print at the back.

This being my first bag design I'm quite happy with it. Admittingly, the bag turned out bigger than I had imagined and the pleat at the side is there only because I miscalculated and added too much in seam allowance and had to take care of it somehow... I had so much fun making this bag even though I was nrevous about EssJay's reaction to it. She's not fond of red and there's red in it... She's a vegetarian and I didn't know if she'd mind the fake suede. And I wondered if she'd like my idea for the adjustable strap or just find it silly...

She tells me she loves the bag!!!! And she's already used it for work! Thanks! :)


Curious cat!

5 comments:

Wendie / monkey loves oliver said...

I adore that bag Anna! How sweet of you to make it for Sara. I really want to start making bags, and I hope that mine are as nice as yours someday! :kram:

Geek Knitter said...

It's a beautiful bag Anna, and I just adore your kitty!

iKate said...

It turned out SO well Anna--the pattern is great and the fabric is lovely. I'm so impressed/jealous of your sewing ability!

Unknown said...

Thank you girls! :)

:kram:

essjay said...

I truly do *love* the bag so much, Anna! I had wanted to go shopping this weekend and I was going to look for bags I could use for work - that would hold my purse, a book, a small knitting project, gloves, hat, scarf (winter here we come) and such. And this bag is exactly what I needed! The fabric is so durable and I am inlove with the interior fabric - it helps the strap "stick" to my shoulder and stay up. It is perfect, in so many ways, Anna! And yes, I even like the red because the fabric is so fantastic! Thank you SO much! :kram: x 1 million!