Saturday, January 3, 2009

FO - Mother's Laminaria

Close up - Aliens and Blossoms
Aliens and Blossoms!

Pattern: Laminaria by Elizabeth Freeman from Knitty Spring 2008

Made for: my mother (who hinted very subtly *ahem* about wanting one herself after seeing mine)

Yarn: Approximately 250grams of ViKanGarn's thinner quality. Don't remember the exact dye lot but it's a mix of browns and dark greys.

Needles: 4,5mm/US7

Project time: Middle of November - December 7th, 2008 (blocked December 14-15th)

Project modifications: I made the star section symmetrical in the same way as I did on my own Laminaria.

Close up - Stars
Symmetrical lines of stars

Comments/Thoughts: I truly enjoyed knitting this shawl a second time (almost a third time as I frogged my very first version (a shawlette sized one) only 8 rows from binding off) and who knows? I might make yet another one. Or not. :)

My mother truly loves it and I'm so happy I decided to make one for her for Christmas. She tells me she wears it every day.

Mother's Laminaria
Blocking process

(Sorry for the pictures you can't see. The ones that truly show you the variations in colour (taking pictures in December is at fault) and the ones where the shawl is modelled by my mother (who's way too camera shy) or me (who just didn't want to be outside in the cold and misty weather)...)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just SO beautiful! Wow Anna. Astounding!

Geek Knitter said...

Oh Anna, well done! As for subtle hints, I'm no good at them. What if the person I'm hinting to doesn't get it? Then I won't have the thing I want...

Lia said...

Anna, that is absolutely stunning! Beautiful beautiful work, and love in every stitch!

I agree with Anree about subtle hints...:teehee:

Kram!

Mona said...

Den är verkligen vacker. Svår att göra? Jag kanske ska ge mig på ett projekt igen, det var verkeligen länge sedan nu. :-)

Kim said...

I have long admired this pattern and you have re-newed my desire to make it. Yours is just incredibly beautiful!

Jen said...

Ohhh, it's beautiful, Anna!

Anonymous said...

good points and the details are more precise than somewhere else, thanks.

- Murk