Friday, January 4, 2008

Mostly knitting talk

I'm much better, thank you! Have to say that I feel somewhat embarrassed at going to the emergency with something as common as ovulation... But at the same time, I'm happy it wasn't appendicitis or cysts or somehting serious like that. Coming home the other night I spent a couple of hours on the couch with a heat pad and a cat on my stomach, a book in my hand and a large piece of chocolate cake on a plate. Felt better the next morning.

-----

I've actually been knitting some the last couple of days. I've accomplished a couple of rows on Muir and I've started a pair of Anemoi mittens in chocolate brown and natural Alpaca from Garnstudio. I'm just at the corrugated ribbing so far and I can't really say if my stranded knitting is any good or not. It takes me aaaaaages though.

I'm trying to get my attention back to knitting after spending more time sewing and thinking about sewing. There are a hundred different patterns out there that I want to try out and I have some great yarns at home to work with. I have some WIPs that I'm sort of blah about and I think I have to decide if I should keep working on them or frog them. Some of them are just time fillers to me. I'm not really fascinated about the end product anymore, or the pattern has become boring, or the yarn is just "another yarn".

I have a sock-in-progress at work that has been there for months and months. I love the yarn (dyed cranberry by Angelia) and thought I'd let the yarn speak for itself on these socks. Which means plain stockinette socks but with a slightly different gusset construction (like the one here). What can I say? I'm bored. The yarn knits up wonderfully but the process is booooring. And the yarn deserves something interesting. Or at least that's what I'm telling myself so I can look for something new...

I have a scarf from Knitting New Scarves by Lynne Barr on the needles and I loved the start of it. Now, the construction isn't magical anymore and the yarn (a mysterious cotton yarn bought on an impuls when on vacation this summer) just feels plain... Will I ever wear this scarf? It looks like a chain (see picture 11 when following the link above and choosing to view more images) and won't be for keeping warm. Do I know someone else who might like it? I honestly don't know...

In a plastic bag at home I have one half of a Firestarter sock on the needles. I'm working on the gusset. I don't really know why this project hasn't been finished yet. I love the look of the socks and I'd really like to be able to wear them. The yarn (another sock yarn dyed by Angelia) is light blue and looks lovely. Hmmm... I guess I could bring this project to work and finish them during breaks. The pattern isn't too difficult (especially now when working the gusset) and I'd get a couple of rows done every day.

-----

Thinking about my knitting it seems like most of the projects I have on hold are projects I sort of just jumped right into. Or started because I needed a time filler. Something to occupy my hands with. When things feel more settled at home I'll try to go through all my knitting stuff (patterns, yarns and unfinished projects) and sort things out. Make a list and (try to) stick to it.

I've learnt that I need projects that are worked on different sized needles. I can't work on too many projects at the same time using needles smaller than 3mm/US3. It gets too tough on my hands. I also need one simpler project for work as I can't stay focused enough to work intimidating lace or cable patterns with people chatting all around me. Maybe I should try to stay monogamous to one project at home? Try to stick too it a bit more than I do now.

Strategies... We'll see what comes out of it...

1 comment:

essjay said...

I'm glad you are feeling better and that you took some time just to relax! It is hard with a lot of knitting projects on the needles....I personally can't do it at all...the max I can have is 3 at a time. I do understand needing different levels of difficulty and portability. Hopefully you can figure out a strategy that works for you!