Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Getting to know me - 6

I thought today would be a good day to post again for "Getting to know me". If I was to talk about knitting I'd just be repeating whatever I've said the last couple of days. My head is swamped with combinations of favourite yarns from my stash and patterns. I'm really leaning towards swatching for a Laminaria in the Cherry Blossom Fibers' sock yarn (see pictures in this post)...

This week I'll answer question number 18:

What is your all-time favourite movie?

The first that comes to mind is The Princess Bride. I simply love it. I love the dialogue. I love the storyline. And the characters. If I'm not mistaken I was something like 14 years old when I saw it the first time. A friend of mine had rented it for a sleepover simply because she thought Fred Savage (from The Wonder Years) was one of the cutest guys on the planet.

I don't know how many times I've seen it since then. I had a class mate in high school who also loved the movie and we used to laugh our a$$es off as we went through the dialogue and "played out" some of the best parts. Noone else in our class had seen it and they all just sighed at us when we got started.

There's a VHS-copy of the movie in a drawer at home. I've never own a VCR myself. Sometimes I'd go to the video store and rent a movie and a movie box so I could spend time watching "The Princess Bride". The VHS was bought in England when I was there as a 15-year-old, and therefore it doesn't have any subtitles. The sound quality is kind of blah and I couldn't get anyone else to love the movie as much as I did. They didn't hear the dialogue properly and didn't have any subtitles to read. Me laughing or repeating the dialogue out loud probably didn't help either... (Thinking about this makes me all nostalgic!)

About two years ago, I recorded the movie on DVD as it was shown on Swedish tv. Unfortunately there's no sound in half of the movie. Don't know why. But it bugs me to hell and I haven't watched it more than once from that DVD. Guess I should get a proper store-bought version of it.

For some reason the title has been changed to "Bleka dödens minut" in Sweden. Translated that becomes "The Pale Death's Minute"... Uhm? It sounds plain stupid, doesn't it?

~~~~~

Have you seen The Princess Bride? Like it? Love it? Or not?

~~~~~

Other favourite movies that come to mind (for different reasons) are:

Alive
Dead Poet's Society
Singles
Reality Bites
Reservoir Dogs
Grease
Dirty Dancing
Amélie (of Montmartre)
Sleepers
Stand by me
Dancer in the Dark

~~~~~

What's your favourite movie? And why? I'd love to know! Either tell me your answer in a comment or make a post in your own blog. (If you do the latter, please let me know so I don't miss your answer!)

6 comments:

florencemary said...

You know, I've never seen The Princess Bride, or even [cough] heard of it! Was I on another planet during the 80s?

My all-time fave film is Dr Zhivago. There's lots going on (romance, historical stuff, scenery, wonderful soundtrack) and it's nice and long, so you can really get stuck into those chocolates.

Geek Knitter said...

I have seen The Princess Bride, it's a really good movie.

My all-time favorite movie is Cassablanca. Humfrey Bogart at his sexiest, and the cinematography is stunning.

iKate said...

I loooooooooooove Princess Bride! In high school, my friends and I used to watch it too! We had certain favorite parts that we would recite while we were watching the movie. "Never go in against a Sicilian when DEATH is on the line!"

One of my favorite movies is "When Harry Met Sally." It's a romantic comedy. I like it because it's funny, and it's all about how sometimes the person that is right for you is right in front of you!

essjay said...

Princess Bride is a great movie! I love watching movies and it is really hard for me to pick out ONE favorite - it depends on the day and my mood!

Anonymous said...

This is seriously in my top 3 movies of all time. I'm not entirely sure what the other two are, but The Princess Bride is memorized, completely. LOVE IT!
Tom and I are always quoting from it in our daily life . . . "No more rhymes and I mean it!. . . . Anybody want a peanut?" so funny.

UK lass in US said...

I like Out of Africa - I like the music, the scenery and I like that the woman isn't a wimp.