Monday, January 12, 2009

A sky painted by numbers

Did you do Paint-by-Number when you were little?

I made one. I can't remember the exact picture it formed; I think it was a winter scenery. The thing I do remember though is the sky. It was formed by using what seemed like a thousand different colours; deep dark blue, plain blue, light blue, aqua, turqouise, light green, warm lavender, purple, fiesty red, calm red, bright orange, soft apricot, peach, girly pink, brightbright pink, yellow, gold, silver, off-white, white...

Painting the sky was tedious work and I know I kept thinking how ridiculous it all was. All those colours in the sky. At the same time. In a pattern that was both random and logical at the same time. It didn't look like a sky I had ever seen. It looked unreal.

This morning, when biking to work, I had that sky over me. Beautiful, delicate and painted by numbers.

3 comments:

Kerstin said...

I see what you mean. I remember my aunt, who was an artist, always reminding me to look at ALL the colours in the sky

Geek Knitter said...

Sometimes it just takes a while to see the world like that.

Anonymous said...

This post made me smile and for some reason warm and fuzzy inside.

I really like the way you write