Thursday, December 10, 2009

She hasn't been knitting...

I haven't knit a stitch in 10 days. I've looked at the two projects I'm supposed to be working on, but that's it. No knitting.

I have a deadline for my sister's Anemoi Mittens and it's only 14 days away. There's no way I'll be able to finish the pair up by then. If I get the first mitten done I'll be super proud of myself. I've knit about 10 rows passed the thumb gusset, but there's still at least another 20 rows left to knit before starting the decreases for the top and then the whole thumb. Knitting stranded takes time for me. And I'm not in love with the final product. The pattern isn't as clear as I'd like it to be...

And then I have my German Stockings. Some time a couple of weeks ago I thought I'd aim for having the pair done by Christmas. I'd love to wear them on Christmas Eve. But that won't happen. I've reached the easy part of them, working on the leg, but I don't have enough time. Knee socks have a long leg part...

So, why haven't I been knitting lately? Despite deadlines. Well, I wish I could tell you I'd done a million other exciting things instead, but sadly, I've just been too tired. Too tired. November was awful at work and December isn't much better. When I've come home in the evenings I've just crashed. The last two nights I've fallen asleep on the couch before 21/9pm. And that has been after severe struggle to keep my eyelids open fo quite some time.

The thought of knitting something that requires me to look at charts (as Anemoi Mittens and German Stockings do) has been too overwhelming. And knowing myself, I know that even the smallest mistake would leave me swearing in tears. I'm not a charming person when I'm tired. So, for the sake of my own, and my boyfriend's, sanity, I've kept from knitting.

It feels strange though. I haven't particularly missed it.

Maybe 'cause I've been creative in other ways? I'll tell you more about it some other time, but it involves trips down Memory Lane, a MacBook and the software Scrivener...

2 comments:

Geek Knitter said...

It's amazing how exhausting stress is, isn't it?

I hope that things settle down for you soon. Your energy will come back and you'll get those projects done.

essjay said...

I do hope things settle down soon for you so you aren't always exhausted. Being exhausted all the time is exhausting all on its own. I hope you find something that inspires your crafty side soon! :kram: